CHURCH HISTORY

OUR PATRON

  • Saint Columbkille (521-597) was the most famous of the Scottish saints; however, he was of Irish decent and known as Colmcille.
  • He was ordained before he was twenty-five years old and spent the next fifteen years preaching and setting up foundations in Ireland.
  • He left Ireland at age forty-two and landed on the island of Iona off the coast of Scotland. There he built the monastery which was to become world famous. With Saints Canice and Comgall, he spread the gospel to the Picts. He also developed a monastic rule that many followed until the introduction of St. Benedicts. His feast day is June 9.
  • The oak leaf is a symbol of the first monastery in the oak groves of Derry, Ireland. The Celtic cross is a symbol of the first monastery on the island of Iona, Scotland.
  • OUR HISTORY

  • 1897 - Father Toner said Mass in the home of Michael Duffy.
  • August 15, 1908 - wooden frame church dedicated. Rev. Anthony Pniak appointed as resident pastor.
  • In 1906, we created a Mission Church in Moon Run, later to be named Holy Trinity Church.
  • 1909 - The church cemetary was purchased.
  • August 16, 1953 - church/school building dedicated and replaced original church.
  • August 15, 1954 - parish convent blessed and occupied by the Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis from Mt. Alvernia, Millvale, PA.
  • May 4, 1958 - school annex dedicated and housed grades one through eight. At its' peak, the school enrolled approximately 300 children. Due to educational requirements, school was discontinued in September of 1972.
  • 1959 - Current rectory was built.
  • Mid 1970's through 1980's - The church under went major renovations such as new windows, stained glass added, new pews installed, updated lighting, and the construction of the narthex.
  • 1975 to 1981 - The convent was called The Mother of God Monastery staffed by the Benedictine Sisters.
  • July 1989 - A new church organ was purchased.
  • 2001 - Parish Hall was renovated.
  • August 2002 - Today's church seats approximately 375 people, 1,100 families are registered and 570 children are enrolled in religious education programs.